Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park
Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park is the last in a long string of redwood parks that stretch up Northern California’s coast. A few miles inland from the ocean, the park is densely forested with huge ancient trees. In fact, it contains seven percent of all the old-growth redwoods left in the
world. No roads or trails mark “Jed Smith’s” core—just pure, primeval majesty.
The park was named for Jedediah Strong Smith, who in the 1820s became the first white man to explore the interior of northern California. The park was established in 1929 with a small parcel donated to Save the Redwoods League by the family of lumberman Frank Stout.
About Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park
Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park’s 10,000 acres are managed cooperatively by the National Park Service and California State Parks, as are Del Norte Coast Redwoods State Park, Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, and Redwood National Park. A World Heritage Site and International Biosphere Reserve, Redwood National and State Parks protect 45 percent of California’s remaining old-growth redwoods—an area almost four times the size of Manhattan Island.
Location: Nine miles east of Crescent City on Highway 199 | (707) 465-7335 | Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park Website | 8.5 mi from Casino
Battery Point Lighthouse
In 1855, the ship America burned in the harbor at Crescent City. Three cannons were salvaged from the wreckage and mounted nearby on the point at the northern side of the harbor's entrance. The cannons, which were often fired during Fourth of July celebrations, resulted in the
point being named Battery Point, and although the cannons have since disappeared, the name remains affixed to the point.
A second event occurred that same year that would result in another addition to the
point. In May 1855, Congress appropriated $15,000 for the construction of a lighthouse on the tiny islet that is connected to Battery Point at low tide by an isthmus.
Although not included in the 1852 contract for the first eight west coast lighthouses, Battery Point Lighthouse was actually lit ten days before Humboldt Harbor Lighthouse, the last of the original eight to become operational. Battery Point Lighthouse, like most of the original eight, was built in a Cape Cod style, with a central brick tower protruding from the roof of a one-and-a-half-story stone keeper’s dwelling. The fourth-order Fresnel lens in the lantern room first illuminated the night sky at Crescent City on December 10, 1856.
Location: Central Crescent City on Lighthouse Way | Battery Point Lighthouse | 3.2 mi from Casino